Sunday, November 9, 2014

Another antique block rescue UPDATE

Anyone know the name of this block?
 
I "inherited" 21 of them, from the same source as the antique Dresden blocks. They are hand-stitched, under who knows what conditions; the puckering in the piece above was common to pretty much all the blocks. The shapes and the French blue color somehow remind me of war, peace, and Europe.
 
However, the stitcher had another weighty issue on her mind: drunkenness and the damage it did to women's lives. According to librarian/quilter Nann, who left a comment below, and verified in this article by Barbara Brackman, this is the 4-T or "Capital T" block standing for temperance. The recipient of the quilt will love it! The only aesthetic preferences he gave were "not too much of anything." How perfect!
 
How to make them into a quilt? My first priority is to combine the blocks with this very sweet Dianthus print I picked up at Joann's at a steep discount. I bought 5 yards at less than $4 a yard (using a 25%-off-my-entire-purchase coupon, on top of a 30% discount on calicos! If you sewists out there missed that deal, you were sleeping!)
 
But how to match the "outspoken" block with the rather delicate print? Here's a layout I've come up with. I have an idea for the central cross section (more flying geese?) and for the five remaining blocks, but I'm letting it rest for the moment (for one thing, I need a source for antique white fabric!--I'm about to use up the old pillowcase I've been using). Do you think I need something more, an applique, in the white space around the peach center squares--or will fancy quilting fill the role?

Meanwhile, on my design wall (as opposed to my design floor), I have this crazy quilt beginning, measuring about 40" by 40"
 
My mom thinks it looks like a story quilt, as it has "narrative" elements like this toile lovers' scene
 
and this Japanese scene (my mom once had a dress made of this fabric):
 
but as for the story itself, I'm happy to let others' imaginations fill the gap.
 


8 comments:

  1. I think the 21 blue/white blocks is called Japanese T Block. If you make different print collections in the four corners, you'd see four kimono's. Happy quilting Greta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a score on the Dianthus fabric! Looking forward to the incorporation of it w/the blocks. I like what you have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four T block, I think? You got a great deal on the Dianthus print. The Red Tag section can harbor some terrific bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nann! You are correct. I looked it up and found the exact same block and color. Four "T"s for the Temperance movement! So they actually date back to the 20s perhaps! http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_pattern_history/temperance_blocks.htm

      Delete
  4. I like what you are doing with those blue and white T blocks. No need for applique I don't think as it might make it too fussy and what I like about it are the clean lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your advice, Lin. Thanks for chiming in. Always so many decisions!

      Delete